Date : June 6th, 2009
It had taken me a week to motivate myself to come to college to do something. I’ve been a couch potato, surfing the net and watching the idiot box while I keep munching on food every minute or so. I finally took heed of my mentor’s advice to come to college and do something useful. He was also the one who prompted me to keep blogging.
So I decided that I catch a train that takes nearly 9 hours to reach my destination, and that day I got myself acclimatised with my good old hostel.
Next day, I was in the business side of things. I actually started with this project a week before this, but I was confused totally as I was new to OpenSolaris. The version of OpenSolaris I had was 2008.11, and I ran it in virtualbox, the host machine being ubuntu. Before you start doing anything, make sure you have a user with privileges like Primary Administrator, Software Administrator and root so as to install the software. It would be better if you have a new user with these privileges.
So when I came to the student lab, I started installing the Sun Studio, (ss-dev), which was the 1st requirement. I had the student copy of Sun Studio, so installed that. For those of who don’t have that, they can download it from the net. Then I installed the other requirements for it, xml-parser, JDS common build environment (CBE). To install it, Primary Administrative Privileges were required. Then I’d to install pkgbuild (version : 220.127.116.11) , after removing the older pkgbuild. After that, I went and modified the file ” /usr/share/aclocal/dirlist ” to include ACLOCAL dir. Then finally I’d to download the spec-files for testing from this link
$ svn co svn+ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org/svn/jds/spec-files/trunk spec-files-trunk and also
$ svn co svn+ssh://email@example.com/svn/jds/spec-files/branches/gnome-2-24 spec-files-2-24 .
They are a necessary step, for they include some important files link solaris.inc and others. Trust me, you would have to download them, as we did try running the pkgbuild tool, but without success. So we did set up the build environment as is told in the document, and everything is ready for the next phase.
Ok, so now it was time for us to search for packages. For starters, we decided that we take up some simple applications which don’t have any real dependancies, and can be easily installed but not ported yet. So we began our search, mainly in SourceForge.net. After many days of searching, finally we struck gold, with me getting 2 applications – lame and mpg123, both multimedia applications. Writing the spec file for these two applications were pretty simple, as they did not have any conflicts. We also had to write the copyright file, which was bundled along with the softwares. These 2 files were placed in the directory /export/home/<username>/PACKAGES/SOURCES, so that the pkgtool command can be executed.
Once that was over, we submitted it to SourceJuicer, where we must have an opensolaris developer’s account. We submitted the spec and the copyright file, and within a week after submission, both of them were accepted.
I’m looking forward to porting one more package, which presents me a challenge. So in the coming weeks, you will see a post here relating to it. Until then, happy porting.